Federal Student Aid for Students from USA

Masaryk University is eligible to certify loan applications for the Federal Direct Student Loan Program and is open to accept US students who want quality education for their future career. For all who seek profound academic training with a strong research background with superb facilities for study and work, Masaryk University can be an excellent choice.

If you plan to study abroad to get your entire degree outside the United States, you may be able to use federal student aid to pay your expenses. The type of aid you can get—and the process you must follow—will depend on the type of study programe you plan to enter.

  • Direct Loan Participation Acknowledgement: Masarykova Univerzita 
  • OPE ID: 03565300
  • Direct Loan School ID: G35653

See also:

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do in order to use the FSA for studying at MU?

  • Make sure you are an eligible student for FSA. The US Department of Education (ED) lists the requirements here.
  • Choose the program you want to study. You can choose from varied list of both Bachelor and Master level study programs, as well as Doctoral programs.
  • Apply for FSA using FAFSA - the official Free Application for Federal Student Aid. See more information in the Application tab. Make sure to apply for FAFSA by 15 September (if you begin your studies in fall) or by 15 February (if you begin your studies in spring).
  • Contact the FSA Admin at MU (see the contact on the right) to let them know you are applying for aid by 15 September (if you begin your studies in fall) or by 15 February (spring). They can check your FAFSA for potential errors and clarify some information, i.e. the amount of your aid etc.
  • Please note that if you do not have your FAFSA submitted by 15 Sep/15Feb (depending on when you begin your studies) or contacted the FSA Admin by the same dates, your aid will not be processed. Exception can be given only in duly justified cases (serious illness, loss in family, etc.).
  • Complete the admission procedure. This starts with submission of an electronic application to an MU faculty, follows with passing the entrance exams and ends with physical enrolment in the study. See more information in the Admission tab here and on your faculty's website.
  • Open a bank account with any Czech bank. Your faculty will also inform you on this as part of the admission process. Having a Czech bank account is important for paying the tuition fees, receiving potential scholarships, charging your SUPO account etc.
  • After completing the admission procedure and enrolling in the study you will meet the FSA Admin for an in-person meeting where you will talk about eligibility requirements, SAP rules, your loan limits, loan amount and other important things.
  • Before moving on to signing necessary documents, please sign online the Master Promissory Note and complete the Entrance Counseling. Let the FSA Admin know that you have completed these tasks so it can be checked in the system.
  • After that, you will come to sign two documents:
    • an agreement with the faculty (signed at the faculty) stating your involvement with FSA and obligations as a student (such as payment of tuition fees, etc.). This has to be countersigned by the dean of the faculty;
    • an award letter (signed at the FSA Admin's office) containing more details on disbursement of the aid that were discussed during your in person meeting.
  • After that, your aid can be disbursed.


When can I receive the aid? Is it possible to use the aid to pay for my tuition fee in advance?

Unfortunately it is not possible to pay your first tuition fee from the aid if you just enrolled in your studies. Per federal rules we are not able to disburse aid sooner than 10 days before the semester starts (or even 30 days after the first day of class in case of first year undergraduates who are also first time borrowers).

Therefore before applying for your studies, please make sure you have enough resources to pay for the initial expenses - moving to Brno, accommodation, visa costs, part of the tuition fee, etc.


Can you provide me with 1098-T Tuition Statement forms so my parents can do tax refund for tuition fees I paid?

Masaryk University does not have U.S. tax ID number and therefore cannot provide 1098-T forms at this moment. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Top  ▲