|dates||1 to 29 July, 2018|
|credits||2 ECTS per module|
Participation fee includes tuition, issuance of Transcript of records, accommodation, cultural program, and on-site support. This summer school is co-financed from a range of additional sources which considerably lowers the fee the participants have to pay.
1 week/module: 100 EUR
|organized by||Masaryk University, University of Hamburg, Větrné mlýny|
Turkish Academy is a joint summer school program of Masaryk University, University of Hamburg, and the publishing house Větrné mlýny. It will take place in July 2018 and will form an integral part of the biggest literary festival in Central Europe, Author’s Reading Month (http://www.autorskecteni.cz/en). In July next year, this festival is going to welcome 31 leading Turkish writers.
Turkish authors participating in the Author's Reading Month: Nedim Gürsel, Faruk Duman, Behçet Çelik, Ayfer Tunç, Pelin Özer, Gonca Özmen, Şebnem İşigüzel, Sema Kaygusuz, Murat Uyurkulak, Murathan Mungan, Hatice Meryem, Lale Müdür, Oya Baydar, Saygın Ersin, Özgür Mumcu, İskender Pala, Haydar Karatas, Aslı Perker, Tarık Tufan, Ciller Illhan, Necla Kelek, Yadé Kara, Haydar Ergulen, Tuna Kiremitçi, Yalçın Tosun, Gaye Boralioglu, Murat Ozyaşar
The summer courses of Turkish Academy are open for university students from all over the world. The teaching language is English. The courses are not designed solely for students of Turkish studies but also for other university students who touch upon topics concerning Turkey in various areas of studies (e.g. art history, history, political science, international relations, Central European studies, literature, translation studies, etc.) Turkish Academy is open to anyone who would like to gain some basic insight into Turkish culture, history, literature, and politics. The lecturers of Turkish Academy come from various central European countries and Turkey. Our aim is to prepare a mixture of information about contemporary Turkey as well as its rich history.
Teaching every week will be centered around a different topic. These modules can be combined to the participant’s convenience.
Accommodation for participants will be secured at Masaryk University residence halls (http://www.skm.muni.cz/?en).
Transcript of records (from Masaryk University) will be issued after completing all academic requirements.
The main benefits of Turkish Academy:
- Daily meetings with contemporary Turkish writers who will be visiting the Author’s Reading Month at the time.
- Receiving contemporary academic knowledge about Turkey in the context of Central Europe.
- Gaining insight into current social, political, and cultural situation in Turkey.
- Getting inspiration for one’s own literary production.
- Personal experience with a prominent literary and cultural festival.
Detailed program of lectures:
- Week 1
- Topics: Modern Turkish History
- Jana Musilova - Masaryk University
- Gabriel Pirický - Slovak Academy of Sciences
- Petr Kučera - Hamburg University
- Week 2
- Topics: Cities and Environment in Turkey, History of the Ottoman Empire
- Alptug Güney - Hamburg University
- Onur Inal - Hamburg University
- Marek Čejka - Masaryk University
- Week 3
- Topics: Modern Turkish Literature, Turkish Language and Music
- Petr Kučera - Hamburg University
- Tevfik Turan - Hamburg University
- Latif Durlanik - Hamburg University
- Week 4
- Topics: Ottoman society, Ottoman-Turkish Literature
- Hülya Celik - Hamburg University
- Yavuz Köse - Hamburg University
Structure of teaching:
- Monday to Friday
- 09.45–12.45/ lectures, seminars, workshops
- 18.00–18.30/ media training - workshop
- 19.00–21.00 / meeting with a Turkish writer, author’s reading
Rich cultural and social program during the week as well as weekends
Trip to Budapest will be organized from 13th to 15th of July. Transport, accommodation (2 nights in a hostel with breakfast), city tour, and two entrances to places of interest will be offered for an additional fee.