|dates||1 to 14 July, 2019|
|credits||2 ECTS per module|
|organized by||Centre for International Cooperation|
|application deadline||15 May 2019|
“The Balkan Academy with a special focus on Romania” is a summer school of Masaryk University. It will take place in the first half of July 2019 and will form an integral part of the largest literary festival in Central Europe, Author’s Reading Month (www.autorskecteni.cz/en). In July 2019, this festival is going to welcome 31 leading Romanian writers.
The program is open to anyone who would like to gain some basic insight into Romanian and Balkan culture, history, literature, and politics. Our aim is to prepare a mixture of information about contemporary Romania as well as rich history of the Balkans, and offer the unique opportunity to meet daily with Romanian writers. The teaching language is English.
The Balkan Academy summer school is open for university students from all over the world. The courses are designed not just for students of Romanian or Balkan studies but also for other university students who touch upon topics concerning the Balkans in various areas (e.g. art history, history, political science, international relations, Central European studies, literature, translation studies, etc.).
Transcript of records (from Masaryk University) will be issued after completing all academic requirements. The credit value is 4 ECTS.
The main features of this programme are:
- Daily meetings with Romanian writers who will be guests at the Author’s Reading Month at the time
- Receiving up-to-date academic knowledge about Romania and the Balkans
- A short seminar on the contemporary Romanian Cinema with a series of film projections
- Gaining insight into current social, political, and cultural situation in Romania and the Balkans at large
- Getting inspiration for one’s own literary production
- Personal experience with a prominent literary and cultural festival
Lectures, workshops and seminars are going to focus on the following topics:
- Romanian and Balkan history
- Modern/Contemporary Romanian and Moldavian literature
- Modern/Contemporary Romanian culture (music, theater, fine arts, film)
- media training (workshop)
Structure of teaching:
- 09.00–10.00 / breakfast with a Romanian writer — workshop
- 10.30–12.00 / lectures, seminars
- 12.10-13.40 / lectures, seminars
- 17.00 – 19:00 / film screening
- 19.00–21.00 / meeting with a Romanian writer, author’s reading
Romanian authors participating in the Author‘s Reading Month:
Ioana Pârvulescu, Varujan Vosganian, Lucian Boia, Ana Blandiana, Dan Lungu, Filip Florian, Gianina Cărbunariu, Claudiu Komartin, Vlad Zografi, Svetlana Carstean and others
Fee: The progamme is fully funded, hence the tuition, issuance of Transcript of records, cultural program, and on-site assistance is free of charge. The participants will be responsible for the cost of accommodation that will be provided at Masaryk University Halls of Residence (approx. 10 Euros per night for a bed at a twin room).
Accommodation for participants will be secured at Masaryk University residence halls (www.skm.muni.cz/?en).