How to get around Brno
The public transport system consists of trams, city buses and trolley buses. Buses operate 24 hours a day. At night there are special night buses. Night buses leave every 30–60 minutes depending on the line. The main railway station (“Hlavní nádraží”) is the central interchange point of all night trams and buses.
The interval between most buses is 7–15 min from Monday to Friday during rush hours. Weekend intervals are 10–30 minutes. The average interval between most trams is approximately 8 minutes during rush hours on working days; otherwise every 10–15 minutes.
Important meeting points and junctions in Brno
- Náměstí Svobody – the main square of the city center, between the Česká meeting point and the Hlavní nádraží meeting point
- Masarykova – together with Česká the most important street in the center, leading you from Náměstí Svobody to Hlavní nádraží.
- Česká – one of the main junctions, also a meeting point (we say „by the clock“ – there is a clock at the corner)
- Hlavní nádraží (the Main Railway Station) – also one of the main meeting places and main junction
For times, schedules and routes, see the search engine Jizdnirady.cz.
FROM/TO Vinařská, you will get by:
- Tram 1 – tram stop “Výstaviště – hlavní vstup”.
- Trolley buses 25, 26, 37, 52 – bus stop “Výstaviště – hlavní vstup”.
- Night bus 97 stop “Výstaviště – hlavní vstup”.
- Trolley bus 38 – bus stop „Pavlíkova“
- Night bus 95 – bus stop „Pavlíkova“
FROM/TO Komárov, you will get by:
- Tram 12 – final tram stop "Komárov"
- Bus 40, 48, 49, 63, 67 – bust stop "Komárov"
- Night bus 94 – bus stop “Komárov”
FROM/TO Kounicova, you will get by:
- Tram 12 – tram stop "Klusáčkova"
- Trolley bus 34, 36 – bus stop "Klusáčkova"
- Night bus 93, 99 – bus stop "Klusáčkova"
Tickets and transport pass
Tickets are sold at ticket vending machines, DPMB shops, kiosks and railway stations and via SMS at the stop. You can also buy a ticket for a higher price in the bus, just ask the driver and be sure you have the exact amount of money.
Brno city transport pass
For travelling in Brno you can either purchase a single ticket for each trip or use a monthly or quarterly pass (recommended). The validity of a single ticket is time and zone limited. The ticket is valid from the moment it has been validated for a period specified on it and only in those tariff zones marked on the ticket. With all tickets you can change vehicles within the time limit, except for the 10 minutes ticket - this is valid only in the vehicle in which it was validated. The ticket must be validated immediately after boarding a vehicle. During transfers, tickets cannot be further validated.
If you are a student younger than 26 years of age, you are entitled to a reduced-student rate pass for 2 zones which is most practical (cost: 275 CZK per month and 685 CZK quarterly, transport pass plus a plastic card cover 30 CZK). In order to obtain this pass, you need to take your ID document (passport), a photo and a special form you will receive from the Centre for International Cooperation to one of DPMD stores for example at the main station. Your student tutor will help you to obtain the pass after arrival.
The Transport Company of Brno City