Housing at MU
The Accommodation and Catering Services of Masaryk University (SKM MU) is a purpose-built facility of the university that provides the operation of canteens and accommodation facilities at Masaryk University (www.skm.muni.cz). International exchange students are usually accommodated in the “Vinařská”, “Komárov-Sladkého” or “Kounicova” halls of residence:
- Halls of residence offered to international students:
- Useful contacts (see the Documents section)
- Maintenance (see the Documents section)
If you want to stay in the halls of residence of Masaryk University, you have to first apply in our online application and answer “yes” and mention the approximate date of your arrival and departure:
The room will then be pre-booked for you and you will be informed in late July (autumn semester) or late November (spring semester) about further steps. You will receive from us an information e-mail with instructions on how to book your room and how to pay the booking deposit. If you do not pay by the deadline, the reservation for your room will be cancelled.
Book your room
In the late July (autumn semester) or the late November (spring semester), you will be informed by e-mail how to book a pre-booked room in the ISKaM booking system (ISKaM guideline) and how to pay the booking deposit. If you do not proceed with both steps within the deadline, your room reservation will be cancelled.
In the ISKaM booking system, you will:
- choose a residence
- choose a room number
- choose the date of arrival and departure (BINDING)
- sign the accommodation contract electronically
You have to print out the accommodation contract twice and bring it with you.
If you prefer to stay in private flat, please follow this link for more information.
Information about how to get to:
Within 10 days after arrival, every student is obliged to pay the first month’s rent plus an accommodation security deposit (ca. 2500 CZK = ca. 90 EUR - it depends on the halls of residence and room you will stay in). The security deposit + booking deposit will be kept and used as the last month’s rent.
|BOOKING DEPOSIT||SECURITY DEPOSIT||FIRST MONTH’S RENT||OTHER MONTHLY RENT PAYMENTS|
|before arrival||within 10 days after arrival||within 10 days after arrival||by 10th day of the month|
|ca. 1000 CZK||ca. 2500 CZK||ca. 3500 CZK||ca. 3500 CZK|
|through Shopping Centre in IS by payment card||through chosen means payment (see below)||through chosen means of payment (see below)||through chosen means of payment (see below)|
|BOOKING DEPOSIT + SECURITY DEPOSIT = LAST MONTH’S RENT|
Other monthly rent payments must be made by the 10th day of the particular month (March’s rent - needs to be paid by 10 March at the latest), when making a rent payment through cashless transfer, it is necessary to send the payment at least 5 working days before the deadline, so that the money arrives on the MU account on time.
In case of late payment, you will be charged a penalty of 5 CZK for each day of delay.
SUPO is a university system of settling payments for services. To log in into the SUPO account, enter your UČO and primary MU password. The aim of the system is to minimise handling of cash, to support cashless forms of payment and to centralise in one common place students' financial means intended for payments for various types of services at Masaryk University.
Check your balance in your SUPO account (“SUPO client account” in the left-hand menu and then on the sub-link “MU account balance overview”). After your arrival you have to check the amount of the first month’s rent to pay in the ISKaM system. After the first month this might be possible to check in the SUPO account for the next months.
|Item||Balance in CZK|
|Current balance||5 407.00|
|Blocked balance||3 300.00|
|Disposable balance||2 107.00|
|Outstanding items||4 999.00|
|Amount to pay:||2 833.00|
Means of rent payment
How can you pay the rent? You just need to have money on your SUPO account; money for the rent will be automatically deducted.
How to get money into your SUPO account and pay the rent:
- Cash payment through Credit Top-up Machines (see the photo below). You can find these devices at all faculties (except for the Faculty of Informatics) and all halls of residence. It accepts bank notes only.
- Cash payment at the counters of any bank to the MU bank account (MU bank account details).
- Cashless transfer/payment order from your Czech account.
- Cashless transfer/payment order from your home account (when transferring the money from a foreign account, the transfer fee is to be paid by you, otherwise it will be withdrawn from your SUPO or you will have to pay the transfer fee in cash to the accommodation assistant).
After you get an MU ISIC card, please bring it to your accommodation assistant to get the dormitory identification sticker on the card. If you do not have an MU ISIC card, then use your ESN membership card.
You, as an international student staying in the halls of residence, may:
- EXTEND the contract at any time during the semester
- SHORTEN the contract, but you have to announce it 2 months before you plan to leave
- TERMINATE* the contract earlier, but you will have to terminate the accommodation contract with advance notice (see below).
* “Before expiration of the agreed accommodation period, by delivery of the Accommodated Person’s written notice without giving a reason. The notice period is two months and it starts on the first calendar day of the month following delivery of the notice to the Accommodation Provider. However, this does not affect the Accommodation Provider’s right to indemnity (including lost profits) due to premature termination of accommodation in accordance with Section 2330 para. 2 CC.”
You should follow the instructions of the accommodation department, however, exchange students will be informed about the pre-departure steps in detail by e-mail, when the end of the semester is approaching.
Withdraw your money from the SUPO account
If there is an overpayment on your SUPO account before your departure, ask for the refund at https://inet.muni.cz/app/supo/vraceni (the money will be then return to your Czech bank account). If you do not have a Czech bank account, contact the accommodation assistant and you will be given the amount back in cash (after the checkout procedure with the accommodation assistant if you stay in the halls of residence). In the case of a high refund in cash (more than 1 000 CZK), please inform your accommodation assistant in advance.