Partner universities and AEN and MAUI network
Masaryk University is a bilateral partner of many universities all around the world. This section of our web sites is devoted to students who have already been nominated by their home institutions (f. e. through Australian-European Network or Mid-America Universities International network) as well as students who are considering Masaryk University as a study abroad site within this scheme.
About bilateral agreements:
Masaryk University welcomes exchange students nominated by their home university for semester or full year long mobilities. The bilateral agreement waives tuition for the incoming students, however students are responsible for room and board payment by themselves or there is a special agreement with the partner institution about it.
If your home institution has an agreement with Masaryk University, contact the exchange coordinator/advisor in the international office of your home university to find out further details about the application process within your university before the nomination is made towards MU.
Once you are selected from your home institution for the exchange visit at Masaryk University, your coordinator must notify us about your nomination. We will then provide you with all the necessary information concerning the application process for the particular semester.
To apply for an exchange visit at our university based on a bilateral agreement, you will have to go through the following steps:
- Online application for nominated students
- Selection of courses taught in English
- Other steps (visa etc.)
1. APPLICATION FORM
Fill out our on-line application form available at IS OIS application (choose bilateral agreement cycle, your country and home school).
Exchange applications must include (no hard copies required):
- a print-out of MU online application dully signed by a student as well as home university international office representative
- a photo of student (passport size)
- a motivation letter to identify student’s academic goals at MU
- a copy of the photo page of student’s passport.
- a confirmation of English language skills (language certificate or confirmation from home institution). Feel free to use MU form for language confirmation. Native speakers of English upload a blank sheet.
- a list of courses choices
Please note that the scanned copies of the application including all documents mentioned above have to be sent via email. No hard copies required.
When filling in your online application, please do not use any special signs or letters (ä, ů, ł, ŝ, etc.) and keep in mind following:
- Do not write all letters as capitals or all letters small when filling in your name and address.
- Write your first name in the name field, your last name in the surname field and your middle name(s) in the middle name field (exactly as it appears in your passport).
- Write in the e-mail address you will use for your correspondence with us.
- In this application, you can also apply for accommodation in our halls of residences and for participation in the orientation week.
- Read the terms and conditions at the end of the application form carefully!
2. COURSES SELECTION
Courses taught in English and other foreign languages are listed here.
Discuss your selection with your home university coordinator/advisor.
Accepted students will receive a course registration package via regular post. It will contain information on courses on-line registration and further details concerning your studies at Masaryk University including accommodation and students' arrival to Brno.
(The timetable of the courses will be known only at the beginning of the semester. If some of your courses happen to overlap, you can change your selection within the first month of the semester).
3. FURTHER STEPS
When we receive the application from your institution (at least the scanned copy of your completed application including all requirements), we will:
- send you the acceptance letter (in English) by regular post to the address students put down in the on-line application (or to students home institution if agreed)
- send you a confirmation of your student status (to you) and a confirmation of your accommodation in the Czech Republic (to the Czech Embassy you will turn in your visa application) by regular post (the confirmation will be written in Czech, both parts included in one document). You will need this forms for visa application
- two months prior to the beginning of semester we will send you, Masaryk university Information system login and password, and instructions how to register for courses at MU on-line. Both via regular post.
When you receive the visa document from our end do following:
- Submit a student visa application to the embassy of the Czech Republic in your home country. If you are not a European Union citizen you are obliged to be in possession of a student visa at the time of your arrival to the Czech Republic (see more information below).
- Bring the acceptance letter to your exchange coordinator/advisor if it is required by them (keep a copy for yourself).
- Register for the courses online through our Information System (http://is.muni.cz) according to the instructions you received together with the login details to the Information System.
- Wait until your tutor (buddy) contacts you and if you wish, make arrangements for him/her to pick you up at the station/airport. If you have not been contacted by the tutor by 14 days before your departure, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
- Get ready for your departure!
All international students who are not citizens of member states of the E.U. are obliged to get a student visa if they plan to study in the Czech Republic. The visa application process might take up to 60 days, therefore apply for it as soon as you receive visa document confirming the purpose of stay (written in Czech). Check the website of the Czech Embassy in your country about the visa application process (here is a list of Czech Embassies worldwide).
The Australian-European Network (AEN) was established in 1999 as a result of ongoing cooperation between seven Australian universities and the Utrecht Network (see below). The AEN and Utrecht Network work together to provide opportunities for student and staff exchange programmes and research collaboration.
Each year Masaryk University sends several exchange students to member universities of the AEN group and receives equal numbers of students from its Australian partners.
The following universities are members of the Australian-European Network:
- Edith Cowan University
- Deakin University
- Griffith University
- Macquarie University
- University of Tasmania
- University of Western Sydney
- University of Wollongong
If you are enrolled at one of these universities and would like to come to Masaryk University as an exchange student, contact your university’s international office for details on how the agreement works. For more information on AEN, please proceed to its website. For more information about the application process as an exchange AEN student at Masaryk University see following web pages.
Mid-America Universities International network
MAUI is a group of fourteen American universities who work together as a consortium in promoting student mobility and other joint projects. As a member of the Utrecht Network (see below), Masaryk University participates in an exchange programme between the UN and MAUI, every year welcoming several students from MAUI partner universities here in Brno.
The American universities in the MAUI consortium are as follows:
- Baylor University; Waco, TX
- Kansas State University; Manhattan, KS
- Missouri University of Science and Technology; Rolla, MO
- Oklahoma State University; Stillwater, OK
- Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, IL
- Texas Tech University; Lubbock, TX
- University of Kansas; Lawrence, KS
- University of Missouri; Columbia, MO
- University of Missouri; Kansas City, MO
- University of Missouri; St. Louis, MO
- University of Nebraska; Kearney, NE
- University of Nebraska; Lincoln, NE
- University of Nebraska; Omaha, NE
- University of Oklahoma; Norman, OK