The term "freemover" has no formal status. It is used loosely to designate a student who is accepted to study at a university in another country, usually for a semester, sometimes for a year, outside of any regular or standard programme (e.g. Erasmus, a special bilateral agreement exchange programme between the two universities, etc.). As such, the student in question is being accepted at the host university as an act of good will on its part.

This of course means that every university has a different policy. Some do not (or cannot, for legal reasons) admit freemovers at all. Others, particularly those wishing to increase the international student presence at their institution, welcome them, especially if a general inter-university agreement on cooperation has been signed with a student’s home institution. In some cases they may require some fees to be paid. In any case, it is totally at the discretion of the university in question as to whether it wants to accept the student or not, and under what conditions. Often this is done when a student wants to come because of a particular specialization offered there, or the presence of a professor who is the leading expert in his or her field.

At Masaryk University it is at the discretion of individual faculties whether or not to admit freemovers. If you would like to study at Masaryk University with the status of “freemover”, please contact the faculty international office or the office of studies of the faculty in question.

Academic calendar

Faculty International Relations Offices

Academic calendar

Academic calendar

Academic calendar

Course catalogue

International student guide

International student guide

Android app

Get Android or iOS app: Navigation through MU

Office hours

Monday 12–14
Tuesday 9–11
Wednesday 12–15
Thursday 13–15
Friday by appointment

Contact us

Get social with us

Facebook Youtube Twitter Instagram

Created by: Jakub Maca and Jiri Petrzelka