Are you thinking of coming to Masaryk University on Erasmus+ exchange (Erasmus)? That's great news! We have put everything you might need online to make the process as smooth as possible. We look forward to welcoming you here in Brno.
- Application process
- Academic calendar
- Erasmus+ timeline
- Course catalogue
- Learning Agreement
- Useful information
If you wish to study at Masaryk University under Erasmus+ programme, firstly check with your home university if it has an agreement with particular faculty or department at Masaryk University. Then you should follow nomination selection process at your home university, so please contact your coordinators for more information.
If your nomination is accepted by us, it does not mean that you as a student are accepted at Masaryk University. There are several steps you have to go through in order to receive an acceptance letter.
The conditions and requirements
You are eligible to be accepted at Masaryk University when:
- you are nominated by home university via our online nomination system
- you submit all application documents needed
- you present an evidence of proficiency in English which must correspond to B2 level of CEFR or higher (more details here)
- you choose courses in a minimum number of at least 20 ETCS each semester (more details here)
The nomination and application process
Process of acceptance to Masaryk University is consisting of few steps:
Your home coordinator has to nominate you online (without nomination you cannot reach the online application).
After the nomination is submitted you will receive an information e-mail with the web link to reach your online application.
Then you can fill in the application. See the deadlines in the right block. Please watch the deadline for application, later application will not be accepted.
Watch this video that will guide you through the application process at Masaryk University.
For filling in the online application you will need the unique link that you received by e-mail.
There is a list of application documents which you need to arrange before uploading them to your online application (we no longer need the originals by post or copies by e-mail):
- printed online application – after the application is filled in and submitted online, it will be automatically saved in our online database and sent to your e-mail. Check your e-mail and find your online application form - print it out, sign it and bring it to your Erasmus exchange coordinator at home university for their signatures
- learning agreement (LA) – use preferably your university’s form, if required, or you can download the MU form (see the section Documents). Write into the LA the courses you would like to attend during your Erasmus+ stay and discuss your choice with the departmental coordinator at your home university. You can choose from the Course Catalogue. Keep in mind that Masaryk University has got a minimum credit limit 20 ETC which Erasmus student has to achieve. Get your LA signed by your coordinators at your home university
- make a copy of your certificate or document proving your level of English (cannot be lower than B2, read more about language requirements here). If you do not possess any certificate, please download Language Proficiency Report and take it with you to your Erasmus coordinators or competent person who can confirm and approve your level of English. The Report has to be filled in and signed by a competent person at your home university. Please read carefully the language requirements at Masaryk University here
Those 3 application documents duly signed have to be scanned and uploaded to the student´s MU online application no later than the deadlines mentioned above.
Within that online application, you can also apply for (it is not binding): an accommodation in Masaryk University halls of residence (more info here), a tutor/buddy (a Czech student who can contact you and help you on your arrival), a participation in the Orientation Week (more info here).
After all your application documents are uploaded we will send your learning agreement for approval to the department.
LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE
After you upload all your application documents, your Learning agreement (LA) will be sent for approval to the department. As soon as your LA is approved we will send it to you by e-mail together with the acceptance letter (visa students will additionally receive other important documents – originals for applying the visa by post). Then you will have to wait for our instruction e-mails which we will start sending them in the late July/late November.
Photo source: MU archive
You can find more details about application process here.
|Jan – 15 June (15 May – visa students)||you are being nominated by your home university|
|Feb – 15 June (15 May – visa students)||after being nominated by your home coordinator, fill in the online application sent to your email|
|February – 1 July (1 June – visa students)||upload application documents (signed)|
|February – September||your learning agreement is being approved|
|February – September||you will receive an acceptance letter by email (visa students also documents for visa application by post)|
|early July – early September||you will be receiving information emails with further instructions (online course registration, accommodation, Orientation Week)|
|August||you will be contacted by your buddy/tutor|
|September||you will finally arrive to Brno|
|September – a week before semester starts||Orientation Week|
|September||attend the Compulsory admission to University International Office (with us)|
|September||arrange all duties in TO-DO-LIST given at the admission|
|end of September||make changes in courses in IS online, register in seminar groups (IS Guideline)|
|end of September||submit Changes to learning agreement (DURING MOBILITY section of your LA)|
|mid-September – mid-December||teaching period (lectures, seminars, labs, etc.)|
|January – mid-February||examination period|
|January/February||check-out with University International Office|
|mid February||end of semester|
You can find more details about application process here.
|Jan – 15 Nov (15 Oct – visa students)||you are being nominated by your home university|
|Jan – 15 Nov (15 Oct – visa students)||after being nominated by your home coordinator, fill in the online application sent to your email|
|February – 1 Dec (1 Nov - visa students)||upload application documents (signed)|
|February – January||your learning agreement is being approved|
|February – January||you will receive an acceptance letter by email (visa students also documents for visa application by post)|
|late November – early February||you will be receiving information emails with further instructions (online course registration, accommodation, Orientation Week)|
|January||you will be contacted by your buddy/tutor|
|February||you will finally arrive to Brno|
|February – a week before semester starts||Orientation Week|
|February||attend the Compulsory admission to University International Office (with us)|
|February||arrange all duties in TO-DO-LIST given at the admission|
|end of February||make changes in courses in IS online, register in seminar groups (IS Guideline)|
|end of February||submit Changes to learning agreement (DURING MOBILITY section of your LA)|
|mid-February – late May||teaching period (lectures, seminars, labs, etc.)|
|late May – July||examination period|
|May/June/July||check-out with University International Office|
|beginning of July||end of semester|
Learning agreement is a basic document that, along with the transcript of records, ensures the recognition of the period of studies abroad by the home institution. It is basically a formal contract collaboratively developed by three parties – student, home institution coordinators and host institution coordinators.
The learning agreement includes the learning activities/courses the student is expected to accomplish during his/her studies at host institution. It is a list of courses which has to be approved and signed by the three parties. Before arrival to Masaryk University the student is obliged:
- to fill in the learning agreement with courses offered to international students at Masaryk University
- Name: MASARYK UNIVERSITY
- Erasmus code: CZ BRNO 05
- Faculty: check in your online application which faculty at MU you were nominated to
- Department: check in your online application which department at the faculty you were nominated to (Faculty of Business and Administration, Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Law do not have the departments for exchange students – leave it empty)
- Address: Žerotínovo nám. 9, 601 77, Brno, Czech Republic
- Country: Czech Republic
- to sign it
- to get the signatures and approval from home university coordinators
- to upload it to the MU online application and wait for the approval from Masaryk University coordinators
At Masaryk University, your learning agreement is primarily signed by your departmental coordinator, in some cases by your Erasmus coordinator too. Once your learning agreement is approved by all parties and you have sent all application documents, you will receive an acceptance letter by e-mail.
Concerning the specific form of learning agreement, you should prefer using the home university form (Erasmus+ EU form). If your university does not provide any, you can use Masaryk University Learning agreement form (see the section Documents).
REGISTRATION AND ENROLLMENT IN COURSES ONLINE
Masaryk University uses Information System for registration and enrollment in courses online. The dates and deadlines of registration period, enrollment period and seminar group enrollment period are mentioned in the detailed academic calendar. The periods may differ at each faculty. You MUST register courses in IS online mentioned in your learning agreement. How to register and enroll in? See our IS Guideline.
Extent and Intensity
You can see three numbers for intensity. First is a number of hours for lectures, second one is for class exercises/seminars and last one stands for another types of teaching methods such as labs, etc.
Example: 2/0/0 (lecture 2, class exercises 0, select another 0)
According to amount of gained credits, you can find two numbers. First number is amount of credits gained by completion and second one is a number for possible extra credits.
Example: 1 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). It means that student can gain specific amount of extra credits, if he/she completes the course with a colloquium/examination or any other type of completion.
For detailed information, please contact the teacher of a particular course or your departmental coordinator.
PROBLEMS WITH REGISTRATION AND ENROLLMENT
It may happen that you encounter some problems during registration and enrolment such as "not available", "no more vacancies", "not meeting the prerequisite", etc. Don´t be afraid and solve the problem by asking for the exception. See the instructions how to cope with the problems and what is recommended to write in a message for teacher in our IS Guideline or see the VIDEO TUTORIAL. It is usual that international students are having these problems and unfortunately there is the only solution: ASK FOR THE EXCEPTION. The teacher then decides. Either (s)he grants you the exception and enrols you, or not, and might write you an e-mail with explanation. In that case, you must choose another course.
ADVICE FOR YOU: You can discuss your courses with your MU departmental coordinator (his/her name is mentioned in your application online or at your folder given to you during admission after arrival). If you were not accepted in a course which has been approved in the learning agreement and you really need this course, we might recommend you to go for the first lecture/seminar and talk to the teacher personally. Bring your approved learning agreement with you.
SEMINAR GROUP ENROLLMENT
Some courses have not only lectures but also seminars. This means you have to enrol in seminar groups. There are always more options so you can choose which day and hour suit you best. See the IS Guideline with more details how to enrol in seminar groups or VIDEO TUTORIAL.
CHANGES TO LEARNING AGREEMENT
After trying to register and enrol online in the courses mentioned in your learning agreement, you probably find out that some courses have to be changed, either NEW courses ADDED or PREVIOUS courses DELETED. You have to make changes to learning agreement afterwards:
- Make the changes in IS online.
- After you finish changes in IS online, make the changes in the paper form of Changes to learning agreement (see section Documents) – DURING MOBILITY part (use preferably the EU form or the form available in the section Documents).
- Write there ALL DELETED and ALL NEW courses, compared to the original learning agreement. Please fill in all required information and all columns. The list of courses in IS has to be equal to the list of courses in your learning agreement/changes to learning agreement.
- Sign it.
- Get the signature from your MU departmental coordinator. If you cannot reach him/her personally, leave it in his/her office/secretary/reception of the faculty or directly upload it to your MU online application and I will get the signature for you.
- Upload the signed document to your MU application online (you received a web link after being nominated).
- Erasmus coordinator from CIC will send it by email to your home university for approval.
See also following links that may help you to answer your questions:
|Course catalogue||Orientation Week|
|Language requirements||Visa information|
|Credit requirements||Bank details of MU|
|Grading system and ECTS||Instruction videos|
Full list of useful information can be found in International Student Guide. Read more about public holidays in Czech Republic, watch videotutorials or find out How to get in Brno. Our International Student Guide is ready to help you!
You passed all the exams and moreover had a beautiful time at our university. Before your departure (and remember, it is never “good bye” but “see you again soon”) you need to finish few steps:
- Return borrowed books to the library
- Clean up you dorm room
- Close your bank account
- Stop by at our office and
- submit the Check-out form
- receive the Transcript of Records and Confirmation of Study
To get your grades recognized see the MU Grading System.
And, of course … stay in touch as an alumni, a proud member of Masaryk University family!